Miscellaneous Questions III
51. What setup is recommended for plein air painting?
For outdoor work there are many different set-ups. The main thing you need is a good tripod easel. The French easel is very popular. It is a combination easel and painting box. It folds up into a rectangular box that hold all of your supplies. They are found in most art stores. An umbrella attached to the box to control the sun is very helpful to cut down on the glare.
52. What are the copyright laws protecting works of art?
Helpful information on copyrights can be found on this web site http://www.whatiscopyright.org
53. I can't draw. What can I do to transfer an image on my canvas?
There is a machine called an opaque projector that artists use to enlarge objects on their canvases if they are unable to draw. You can find these in most art stores and art catalogs. Projectors come in a variety of sizes and price ranges. They work very well for transferring drawings.
54. How do I price my artwork?
There are two ways to price any form of artwork. First, by the popularity of the artist. Second, artwork is priced based on where you are in relation to your peers' artwork. You usually know this by which galleries or art shows accept your work. Most beginning artists price artwork under $500.00. If you can create a demand, your prices could double.
55. What does the word hue mean on a tube of paint? Hue means color. It has nothing to do with the quality of the paint. The word Hue is an attribute that permits them to be classed as red, yellow, green, blue, or an intermediate color.
56. What is the difference between professional and student grade of paints? Professional grades of paint, such as, Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylics and MAX water miscible oils, have full concentration of color pigment. Student grade of paints, such as, Grumbacher Academy Acrylics, Liquitex Basic Acrylics and MAX2 water miscible oil paints lack color pigment are inferior.
57. What are the advantages of using professional grade of paint? Less paint is required to achieve deeper color and coverage. Using the professional paints are the better value for artists who paint frequently.
58. I painted a mural on a BQ grill. What do I seal it with? Use an exterior shellace marine varnish. Like they use on boats.
59. What is the best way to photograph my artwork? Hang your artwork at eye level on a flat surface. You do not want to tilt the painting. Photograph in full shade or on a cloudy day with a good quality film. Do not use a flash it will cause a glare on your photo. This technique is best for capturing a true image.
60. I am having a hard time closing and opening my sta-wet palette saver. Do you have any suggestions? If you apply vaseline or some type of petroleum jelly to the inside edge of the lid it will become easier to get on and off.
Also, when you seal the lid, start at one corner and seal it; them progress down the side of the box pressing the sealing the lid as you go. Seal each corner and side in turn until you have gone around the entire perimeter of the box.